Are you considering painting the exterior of your home and need some tips? Interior painting and exterior painting do have similarities, however there are some major differences that need to be taken into account. Below you can find some handy hints when attempting DIY exterior house painting. If you’re not sure whether you’re cut out for the DIY methods then perhaps it’s best to consult with a professional painter.
- You’ll need to clean dust and grime of the surface you’re looking to paint (a pressure washer machine will really do a great job)
- You can also use other utensils which can scrub off any grime or loose paint
- If there is any nails sticking out anywhere on the surface then you need to nail those back in and apply putty.
- All wood needs to be primed
- Make sure if there is any damage on the surface that you fix these up before painting.
- Place down plastic covering on anything you don’t want to be ruined by paint, or use old sheets.
Tools You Will Need:
- Paint Roller
- Paintbrush and Tray
- Bristle Brush
- You should always start your painting process from the top and work your way down, this minimises mistakes.
- Avoid painting during hot days and in direct sunlight
- Paint the larger areas before the small corners of crevices, as you want to get large areas painted quickly before any drying occurs.
- You should aim to get at least two coats completed rather than just one thick, one, as you’ll have better coverage with this technique. Having a third coat is perfect.
- Always paint your strokes in the same direction and end the stroke onto already wet paint.
You can either use oil based paint or latex paint, which have their differences:
- Latex paint will dry faster than oil based paint
- Latex paint is water based
- Oil based paint is easier to get a smooth result but are general more difficult to apply
- Oil based is glossy, whereas latex comes in both matte and gloss
If you want get a specific look or style it’s best to consult with a professional who can guide you towards colours, products and techniques which are in your best interests. Everyone has a different idea regarding what they desire, and so you should find specific instructions that assist your outcome.
For a highly reliable painter, contact Innovative Painting today!